Friday, November 18, 2011

Here and there

     So I'm here... As much as here can be anywhere. Currently in a "gathering house" of sorts using a public computer to check all the social networks and what not. Life here is on a completely different level. I know that sounds cliché as all get out but it's true. I haven't known the time in three days now. I put on shoes yesterday for a little bit and will again today for our flight up north but other than that I've been barefoot since i got here. Everything is just relaxed and laid back to the nth degree.
    So on the 15th I boarded a flight from Phoenix to LA, from there I sorted out my luggage and headed to the international terminal in LAX and prepared to head to Bangkok. Thai Airways is by far the nicest airlines I've ever flown with. So spacious, tons of leg room, granted it was an 18 hours flight direct to Bangkok but they gave us 4 amazing hot meals and tons of snacks and unlimited drinks (mmmm... Gin and tonic to sooth the nerves). I watched 6 movies on the flight cause everyone had their own TV and full control of it. The downside of an 18 hour flight is that i lost my entire Wed. I left LAX at 9:30pm on Tues and arrived in Bangkok at 6:30am on Thurs. Collected my luggage, breezed through customs and immigration as if i was a political figure of some sort and headed to my next flight. From BKK i boarded a 747-400 (the two story plane) to Phuket and watched another movie on the way. An hour and a half later i was in Phuket and collecting my luggage, again with ease. Outside the airport i hailed a cab and for thirty mins or so flew through the back roads of the island towards the pier i had asked for to catch a boat out to the island i was going too.    It's amazing being here, i had no clue where i was or what i was doing, i knew i had said the name of the pier, some man had nodded to me, smiled and put my luggage in the trunk and we were off... I got dropped off at the pier , where the cab driver pointed to a boat and said "sit there, you go." Half hour forty five mins later we pulled up to a dock and i hopped in the back of a pick up truck with the name of the bungalow i wanted writen on the back of my hand. As it turns out, the cab driver dropped me off at the wrong place because they had never heard of Laura or James but were very egar to have me stay there, and for only 900 bhat a night ( 30 bucks, not that good of a deal). I walked a ways down the road till i found a sign that said internet and the lady who owned the place said she knew of where i was going and got her husband to give me a lift on the back of his scooter. Walking around the bungalows here i couldn't find Laura and James but the owners wife assured me they were here, she didn't know their names but she n\knew there was a white couple from america staying here and they both had blond hair, good enough for me. In hour later out of no where they showed up all sweaty from climbing and the humidity!!!! God is Good...
    After catching up and spending the after \noon floating around the bay we road (three of us) on the back of a scooter to town to grab some drinks and some food. The locals all waved and smiled cause we were riding "Thai" style. Sitting at the corner bar enjoying the only 2 beers Thailand has to offer and eating some street vendor veggie rolls, everything seemed so bliss. Despite everything and the chaos and the fact that i was on the other side of the word in a country i didn't know in the slightest except that the movie "surf ninjas" came from here, I was happy. Not a legit thought in my mind other than, I'm happy. That thought was followed by damn, this reminds me so much of Cameroon. To the point that the smell was the same, the look almost the same and when the winds changed and swift breeze blew up the road i knew it was about to rain. Sure enough, it did. And we piled three deep again onto the scooter and headed back for out bungalow to rustle up some grub from the kitchen.
    Alright I'm getting tired of typing, I love you all and will update you again soon once i get back on a computer. So far that was just day one...

No comments:

Post a Comment